Hemp seeds were only legalised for eating in Australia last November and they already seem to be a big hit! Not only are they delicious with their nutty flavour (but without all the allergy issues that nuts can have) they are truly one of nature’s perfect superfoods:
- they’re a complete plant protein providing all 9 of the essential amino acids required from the diet and all 21 required by the body
- they’re full of the correct balance of the essential fatty acids omegas 3 & 6
- they contain the elusive GLA
- they’re high in magnesium
- they’re high in fibre
- they are easy on the digestive system
- they are a non/low allergy food, and
- as well as being kind to you, they are also kind to the environment since they grow abundantly without the need for any chemicals and, as a result, grow and flourish naturally.
They are also extremely versatile and you can make anything with them from smoothies to dips to muesli to veggie burgers to pasta sauces to delicious sweet treats!